Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Greetings and Biying Club Open

Greetings from a foggy, soggy Dancing Hen Farm!

We will be running our Winter Buying Club this weekend.  That means ordering is now open and will close on Thursday morning at 5 am.  If you have questions about delivery locations and/or times, please contact us at the farm.  All ordering is done online for the buying club.  If you have not already done so, you will need to create an account and "purchase" a free winter buying club share.  Once purchased, we will need to activate before you can order, so there will be a delay between registering and being able to order.  We will continue to run the buying club for several weeks or until our storage crops are finished and our greens are frozen beyond harvest.

This week on the buying club we have a good supply of apple orchard pork and eggs.  Storage crops available include sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets and cabbage.  We also have some salad and cooking greens available, including, mustard, kale, chard, mixed salad greens and arugula.

Hopefully everyone had a great Thanksgiving and everyone has recovered from the post dinner food coma!  Our dinner was peaceful and the food plentiful.  We are still eating leftovers!  I will be cooking down the turkey frame over the weekend to make soup.  I think I enjoy turkey frame soup almost as much as the Thanksgiving meal!  My soup usually is a turkey version of chicken corn soup.  Chicken corn soup was a stable in my Pennsylvania Dutch family.  Following my Mother's and Grandmothers' leads, I think my chicken (or turkey) corn soup is a bit different each time I make it.  I will say, I do not add hard boiled eggs to my soup.  I did not even know they were in corn soup until I moved to central PA, where everyone's corn soup included eggs.  I also generally do not add homemade rivels or dumplings to my soup, but I do often add some thin egg noodles.  If you google Pennsylvania Dutch chicken corn soup, you will get a good list of websites with recipes.  My mouth is watering just writing about this soup!

Please watch your emails closely for the opening of registration for our 2017 CSA.  We are planning some changes for next year.  We will be offering a shorter main season and also a fall season.  The main season will run for 18 weeks and the fall season will follow the main season and run for 8 weeks.  We will again be offering add on egg and chicken shares.  Discounts will be offered for retuning members, members registering early and members purchasing both the main and fall season shares.  We anticipate the website to be updated shortly and once we are up and running, I will send an email out to all members.

Last Saturday, Farmers Don and Phil had a great adventure.  Rather than doing buying club deliveries, they were in the stands at Beaver Stadium cheering Penn State on to a victory.  This was Farmer Phil's  first time at a Penn State game.  Even though the day was a bit windy and chilly, both farmers report having a great time.  Rumor has it Farmer Phil was high fiving everyone around them in the stands!  Now they are trying to convince me they should go to Penn State's bowl game.  But first Farmer Phil is traveling with his Mom and Dad to Disney World for some Christmas pre-gaming! 


Until next week.......

No comments:

Post a Comment